Emergent Tulsa Cohort

Friday, February 03, 2006

Andy Mullin's Presentation on Church

Presently Un-“Churched”

#1 People I share common faith with and have a common priority/mission i.e. “the gospel” and God’s kingdom.

#2 People I work with, live with and have deemed trustworthy to share the more intimate parts of my life as well as knowing them well enough to share in the more intimate parts of their lives.

#3 People I share doctrine with, the finer points of how I live my life. People who understand my decisions and me well enough to encourage and challenge me in my set circumstances.

#4 People I sit quietly beside and smile at while the pastor teaches a watered down, middle of the road, least common denominator yet eloquent sermon to ensure his salary and social growth of the church.


Things I miss about church
1) Eating lunch with other couples on Sunday
2) My kids being around other families and discussions about God
3) Having people think I was a good and growing spiritual person and pat me on the back for doing “good Christian things”.
4) The corporate feeling that I was involved with a group of people actively engaged in #1 and worshipping with them focused on one goal. As long as that goal is the kingdom of god and not a building project.
5) A place for senior adults and others with “free time” who care about my family to watch my children grow and invest in their lives.(multiple grandparents and uncles)
How did I get here?
1) My son’s leukemia and our families struggle
a. Difficult to be interested in a worshipping the God of “good times” and blessings, and hearing sermons about how if you do right God will protect you…”the bless me clubs”
b. My own impatience toward pretense and politics

2) Being on Staff seeing “behind the curtain” and interviewing at several more churches for education…


What I struggle with now

1) Am I willing to sacrifice #3 and keep my personal doctrinal issues to myself?
2) Is it possible to truly experience fellowship without disclosing those things?
3) If I do and I am “found out” again can my wife and I handle another rejection?
4) Is it possible to engross myself in #1 and not worry about the rest? Is that naïve or foolish?


Where I am headed

Presently I’m operating with #2 and #3 and a few specific teachers on my ipod.
I’m looking to see God at work.
When I do I hope I have the courage to join him.

3 Comments:

  • This was a great conversation. Thanks to Todd, Andy, and Kyle for taking us there.

    By Blogger Wade, at 8:58 AM  

  • I second that. It is nice to be involved with a group of people who love the Church and dream of new ways of reflecting Christ in the Church and reflecting Christ through the Church.

    By Blogger Tank, at 10:59 AM  

  • Thanks Andy. I appreciated your honesty and integrity. I also sensed a kindred spirit and I look forward to future times of koinonia.

    paul

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home